ALS Ice Bucket Challenge Compilation
What is the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge?
So, you may have all seen regular and famous people dumping a bucket full of ice over their heads and challenging other celebrities, politicians, athletes to do the same. The question is, why are people doing it? This actually started as a challenge by the ALS foundation to the people and it is for a good cause. This is to help the foundation to fund their research to find a cure for ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) or famously known in the United States as Lou Gehrig’s disease.
What is Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) / Lou Gehrig’s disease?
According to Wikipedia “Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)—also referred to as motor neurone disease (MND), Charcot disease, and, in the United States, Lou Gehrig’s disease—is a neurodegenerative disease with various causes. It is characterised by muscle spasticity, rapidly progressive weakness due to muscle atrophy, difficulty in speaking (dysarthria), swallowing (dysphagia), and breathing (dyspnea). ALS is the most common of the five motor neuron diseases.”
Aside from the baseball player Lou Gehrig one well known person who has contracted the said disease is the highly intelligent Theoretical Physicist Stephen Hawking. Though one may note that Stephen Hawking’s case as rather unusual. As according to specialists “the median survival time from onset to death is around 39 months, and only 4% survive longer than 10 years.” Once you have contracted the said disease, your body shut downs slowly and lose motor control and will likely die sooner or later. To date, no cure has been created for this disease.
What are the rules for the ice bucket challenge?
Well basically, the participants must donate to ALS foundation. It will either be $10 if they successfully dumped the ice cold filled water in their heads. Otherwise, they will be giving $100. They must do it via a video and have it recorded. Once they were able to do so, they can challenge 3 more people to also take the challenge within 24 hours.
This was the initial rule for the challenge, however, as the said challenge became popular in social media and more and more famous people are doing it, there was quite a variation. The participants still gave an amount of their choice to the foundation even if they dumped their heads full of ice.
What will happen with the money raised by the Foundation?
As previously mentioned, the foundation will use it for funding their research on the disease and hopefully to find a cure.
Who are the famous people who did the challenge?
Well you can find the full list here in Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ice_Bucket_Challenge_participants
1. Robert Downey Jr. (Tony Stark / Iron Man) He was challenged by Bob Iger, CEO of Disney. In turn Downey Jr. challenged Vincent D’Onofrio and his Son, and Chris Hemsworth (Thor). His wife did the honors of dumping a bucket full of ice.
2. Chris Pratt (Peter Quill / StarLord) He was also challenged by Bob Iger and Vincent D’Onofrio, the one challenged by Robert Downey Jr. His video was quite long and it is really hilarious. He challenged Gregory Smith, Nick Offerman and Batista
3. Dave “Batista” Bautista (Former Wrestler / Actor) He was challenged by StarLord himself, Chris Pratt. His video was also entertaining as he was already in a tub full of ice. He also admits that he is a fan of Lou Gehrig. He challenged James Gunn, Gina Carano and The Filipino Flash Nonito Donaire. I would love to see Nonito take the challenge
4. Mark Zuckebrug (CEO / Facebook) He was challenged by Governor of New Jersey Chris Christie. He then in turn challenged Bill Gates (CEO Microsoft), Sheryl Sandberg (Facebook) and Reed Hastings (CEO Netflix).
5. Bill Gates (Former CEO Microsoft) He was challenged by Mark Zuckerburg. I find his video the one who ruled them all. We all know Bill Gates is always up for a challenge and did something quite special. See for yourself.
6. Team USA Basketball – They challenged Oprah Winfrey and Adam Silver (NBA Commissioner)
7. Ronda Rousey ( MMA Fighter / Actress) She was challenged by none other than Dana White (President of UFC). She called out Sylvester Stallone , Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson, and Gina Carano
8. The Rock (Former Wrestler / Actor) He was challenged by Ronda Rousey. He then called his Pain & Gain co-star Mark Wahlberg, and his GI JOE co-star Channing Tatum and Brad Slater.
9. Triple H (Wrestler) He challenged Stone Cold Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan and his father-in-law head of WWE Vince Mcmahon.
10. Vince McMahon (Former Wrestler / Chairman and CEO of WWE) Of course, Vince accepted his son-in-law’s challenged. I actually like his nominations, Donald Trump, Maria Menounos and Kermit The Frog. This guys really crazy.
11. Cristiano Ronaldo (Football Player) This guy is a genius by calling out and challenging Beyonce and Jennifer Lopez. He also challenged Lil Wayne. Let’s see if Beyonce will take Ronaldo’s challenge
12. Justin Timberlake (Singer / Actor) He challenged his good friend Jimmy Fallon, The Roots and Steve Higgins. He did the challenge with a few more people in the background, I think that is his crew.
13. Jimmy Fallon (Comedian / Host) He accepted his friend, Justin Timberlake’s challenge, together with Rob Riggle, Horatio Sanz, Steve Higgins and the Roots.
14. Oprah Winfrey (Host /Actress / CEO Harpo Productions) She was nominated by a lot of people including Team USA. Of course, knowing that this is charity work, Oprah gladly obliged she challenged Steven Spielberg and two more people.
15. Steven Spielberg (Director) Of course, the great Steven Spielberg would not back down from a challenge. He then nominated George Lucas, Jeffrey Katzenberg and one of my favorite directors J.J. Abrams!
16. Jessica Alba, Gavin Rossdale, Nicole Richie – They were nominated by Gwen Stefani and this threesome did it all in one hit. Check it out
17. Jennifer Lopez (Singer/Actress) Of course, she accepted Cristiano Ronaldo’s challenge and nominated Iggy Azalean and her dance buddies.
18. Iggy Azalea (Singer) She did accept the challenge from JLo in her bikini and challenged Rita Ora and CharliXCX
19. Weird Al Yankovic (Musician/Comedian) This dude is the best, he challenged Obama, Dalai Lama and the Pope. Obama already said no to a lot of people who challenged him. I doubt the Pope and Dalai Lama will do it too. Well his video is just plain awesome.
20. Tim Cook (Apple CEO) The Head of Apple took the ice on stage in Apple HQ and challenged Bob Iger, Dr. Dre and Michael Franti. Of course he took the ice and donated.
21. Bob Iger (Disney CEO) I actually put him in last so you can loop it to the first few entries since he challenged Downey and Pratt. I actually loved how he called them by their on-screen name Tony Stark and Peter Quill.
You too can donate even without doing the Ice Bucket Challenge. Visit http://www.alsa.org/donate/
Okay peace and I am out!
UPDATED as August 19, 2014
Okay since my post yesterday, there are a lot of people who did the challenge. I have to add a few more of them since some of them are really funny.
22. Nathan Fillion (Actor) The star of Firefly and Castle has accepted the challenge and nominated Tom Hiddleston.
23.Tom Hiddleston (Actor / Loki) A lot of fan girls will surely love to see Tom Hiddleston do this. And yes he did and accepted Nathan’s challenge. In return he challenged Luke Evans and Benedict Cumberbatch. Great choice Mr. Hiddleston
24. Dikembe Mutombo (Former NBA player / NBA Global Ambassador) The description on Bleacher report article was really funny. They kinda said that if you would want to hear how Cookie Monster would sound like waterboarded you should see this. See for yourself and be the judge. This is hilarious!
25. Tyrese Gibson (Actor / Singer) He got challenged by Derek Fisher and The Game. His video was really funny too. He nominated Michelle Obama, Richard Bronson and Sheikh Mansour oh Abu Dhabi. I watched it more than once.
26. Becky Hammon (Former WNBA Player / Assistant Coach Spurs) Becky accepted Commissioner Adam Silver’s challenge and nominated Spurs PG Tony Parker, Assistant Coach Chip Engelland and her former San Antonio Silver Stars teammate Ruth Riley.
27. Tony Parker (NBA player / San Antonio Spurs) He got challenged by Coach Becky Hammon. Still can’t find the video of Becky Hammon though. He nominated 5 people. Manu, Boris, Pau, Dirk and Coach Pop. I would like to see coach Pop get dranched with an ice cold water. I am assuming Becky challenged Timmy which is why Tony didn’t nominate him.
28. Kaley Cuoco (Actress) Our favorite girl from Big Bang Theory also took the challenge. I wonder what Sheldon’s reaction is.
29. Jim Parsons (Actor) Well in case you are wondering, Dr. Sheldon did the challenge too.
30. James Franco (Actor) After being nominated by Selena Gomez, Franco accepted the challenge. I did not understand who he challenged. I was wishing it would be like Jonah Hill, Seth Rogen and the other crew.
31.Chris Hemsworth (Actor / Thor Odinson) So he accepted Downey’s challenge and nominated Jeremy Renner, Chris Evans and Mark Ruffalo. Avengers Assemble. haha
32. Hugh Jackman (Actor / Wolverine) So Mr. Jackman did the challenge with Garrett Hedlund, Rooney Mara and the cast of “Pan”.
33. Blake Shelton, Adam Levine and Carson Daly – This should have been a Blake Shelton and Carson Daly video only, unfortunately for Adam Levine, who is just standing near-by, he was challenged. He did it and they nominated Nick Lachey, Kevin Richardson, Joey Fatone, Gwen Stefani, Pharrell Williams, Jason Segel, Mark Ruffalo and Robert Downey Jr.
34. George Takei (Actor / Hikaru Sulu) Mr.Sulu did the challenge Sci-Fi style. I liked his nominations namely Buzz Aldrin, Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Ian Mckellen. I would love to see them take the challenge too.
35. Travis Barker (Drummer / Blink 182) He did it with two buckets of Ice!
36. Charlie Sheen (Actor) Charlie did the ice bucket challenge with his own twist. Oh and he did donate a lot of money. Kudos Mr. Sheen. It has WIN written all over it.
UPDATED as of August 22, 2014
The list just goes on and on, added a few personal favorites including His Airness, he actually took the challenge. Nice!
37. Ben Affleck (Actor / Director) The new Mr. Bruce Wayne got nominated by Madea “Tyler Perry”. The video itself is cute. His wife, Jennifer Garner did the honor of pouring ice bucket and their children is their audience. He nominated Jimmy Kimmel, Matt Damon and NPH Neil Patrick Harris.
38. Michael Jordan (Basketball Player /GOAT) It took Sports legends David Beckham, Derek Jeter and Ray Allen for His Airness to respond. And in return he challenged his 92 Dream Team teammates and the Zen Master Coach Phil.
39. David Beckham (Football Player) He got nominated by Ryan Seacrest. He called on his friend Leo Dicaprio and two more sports legend Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan. He had a drum full of ice buckets.
40. Larry “Legend” Bird (Basketball Player / Coach / NBA Executive) Apparently Larry Legend already took the challenge of George Hill before MJ called out his 92 Dream Team.
41. Paul George (Basketball Player) Even with his injury PG-13 took the challenge. His hashtags in instragram are funny #iTriedToRunAway #OhICantRun #DontAskMeAgain LOL
42. Channing Tatum (Actor) He responded to The Rock’s call, and did the challenge with his wife. He challenged his 22 Jump Street co-star Jonah Hill and Meryl Streep and Daniel Day Lewis.
43. Mark Wahlberg (Actor) He also responded to The Rock’s call and did it with his family. His kids are cute. He challenged Spike Lee, Eminem and Manny Pacquiao! They set this took place in the set of Ted 2.
44. Will Smith (Actor/Rapper) He responded to the challenge and called on Jay-Z and Beyonce. He wanted them to both do it on the same time.
45. George Bush (Former US President) He tried to play a skit that he will not be splashed by Ice and that it is not Presidential. In the end he got soaked and challenged Mr.Bill Clinton
46. Katy Perry (Singer /Actress) Who wouldn’t like to see Katy Perry get drenched. She challenged Madonna. Now suit your self.
47. Nonito Doñaire “The Flipino Flash” (Boxer) Now Nonito got challenged by his good friend Batista and he responed. He did notm disappoint as he took it into another level. He made the challenge with some friends and did it Vegas style and made it an Ice Dunk Challenge. He was able to raise more money for ALS. He did it a mini event and it was fun. See for yourself. Oh and he called out Pacquiao too, your turn Manny.
48. Chris Evans (Captain America / Steve Rogers) Now Mr. Captain America here responded to Thor’s challenge and his one was quite entertaining too. Bravo Steve Rogers! He also called out Sebastian “The Winter Soldier”.
49. Anne Hathaway (Actress) The talented actress accepted the challenge. She nominated Kristin Stewart and Matthew McConaughey
50. Kermit “The Frog” (Sesame Street) Now this is one is really funny. They really responded to WWE Chairman’s Vince McMahon’s challenge in turn he challenged Tina Fey, Ricky Gervais and Ty Burell.Enjoy
51. Patrick Ewing (Basketball Player /Coach) So, Big Ewing was part of the 92 Dream Team and responded to his boss and former teammate MJ to his challenge.
52.Jimmy Kimmel (Comedian / Host) So Jimmy responded to Ben Affleck’s response. His video is very funny too.
53. Lea Salonga (Actress / Singer / Miss Saigon) Famously known for her Miss Saigon roles and for the singing voice of Jasmine in Aladdin. She took the challenge and challenged Darren Criss (Blaine of Glee) Filipino Actor Aga Muhlach, and her fellow coaches in The Voice Philippines Bamboo Manalac, Sarah Geronimo, and Apl De Ap (Black Eyed Peas)
54. Hulk Hogan (Wrestler) Well if it isn’t the Immortal Hulk Hogan talking on Triple H’s challenge. He challenged Johhny Manziel, Sylvester Stallone and Harvey Levin of TMZ
55. Dr. Dre (Rapper/Producer / CEO Beats) Dr.Dre accepted his business partner, Tim Cook’s challenge and did it ala Bill Gates. Now, he challenged rappers to do it too, Snoop Dogg, Kendrick Lamar and who else, Eminem. Let’s see if Em will do it.
56. Harvey Levin (Host/ Attorney) He accepted Hulk Hogan’s challenge and called out Kanye West (LOL) Lindsay Lohan and Mel Gibson.
57. Lindsay Lohan (Actress) Damn! She looks better now, hoping she stays sober. She did the challenge in The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. She nominated Jared Leto!
58. Conan O’Brien (Host/Comedian) Funny as ever Conan did the challenge in his own way.
59. Ludacris (Rapper/ Actor) What better way to do it than do it on stage. He did it while having a concert and nominated 50 cent.
60. Nina Dobrev (Actress) The very sultry Vampire Diaries star did it in her yacht and jumped straight to the beach after.
61. Macklemore (Rapper) Like Ludacris, Macklemore did this too on stage and nominated Seattle Legends, Shawn Kemp, Steve Scheffler and Gary Payton.
62. Novak Djokovic (Tennis Player) Now the Djoker did it with his preparatory ice ice baby song. He also nominated MJ, who already did the challenge and Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean). I would love to see Mr. Bean take the challenge.
63. Robin Van Persie “RVP”(Football Player) He did it in a pool with his kids and wife pouring in ice water on him. It’s funny in the end how his son tried to push him in the pool.
64. Vin Diesel (Actor) Vin accepted Director James Gunn’s challenge, in return he also challenged them to plant a tree for Groot. He challenged Michelle Obama, Angelina Jolie and Vladmir Putin!, Yup the Russian President.
65. FC Barcelona Players (Football) So several FCB players did the challenge. Pique, Iniesta, Alba, Messi, Song, Neymar, Alves
Okay so if you reach this point then you have already enjoyed and had a chuckle on the video compilation of famous people who did the challenge. But now, I do beg of you that since you reached this far, that you also watch this last video. This is just a regular guy who did the ALS ice bucket challenge. He did a very embarrassing video but you will find out why he did it if you watched the whole video. I hope you guys would also take a moment to also learn about what ALS is and what it can do to people. This guy just shared with us a few moments from his life and I feel for him.
Again you can help by donating to http://www.alsa.org/donate/
Peace! I’m out!