“We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love.” ― Tom Robbins It seems to me that everyone’s got a list of traits they demand from a lover. They want to be loved in a very specific way by a certain someone who has the exact set of qualities they […]
Heartbreak. Betrayal. Failure. Inadequacy. These are just some of the adversities that we have all experienced in the past. Dealing with these hardships was never easy. At times, we struggle to cope with it and sometimes we even breakdown. More often than not, we can’t help but feel helpless and powerless towards these situations.
I know, because like you, I have experienced the same feeling too. In fact, I was trapped in a circumstance where I felt like it was never going to end. Like all the burden in the world was suddenly placed on my shoulder. It felt like that initially, especially since I was expecting a different outcome. The pain also blind sided me and I struggled to process what has happened. This unfulfilled expectation was certainly the root cause for my disappointment.
During this struggle, I was always in deep thought about almost everything. It never helped that I was also a natural over thinker. Several scenarios were always playing in my head, and I was hard on myself as to how I was not able to anticipate several possibilities. I felt like if I was able to foresaw this outcome, I could have done a better job on dealing with it. But I am just a man. I never could have predicted what was bound to happen. And no matter how carefully I plan for it, it simply was not going to happen.
Eventually, I was able to learn how to deal with my misfortune. Like in all long nights, there will always come a dawn. Soon the morning came, and in time I finally determined how to deal with my situation. I learned how to forgive, accept my new reality, and eventually move forward. It wasn’t easy. It took time and required a lot of patience but it’s worthwhile.
It was in this time of reflection when I realized the stuff that I have done wrong and the stuff that I did right. If I can go back in time and give myself an advice on my previous situation, I would tell myself the following things:
First, remember that hardships are just temporary. Remember, This too shall pass. Whatever it is that you are experiencing right now, heart break, failure from landing a dream job, chronic illness, financial struggles. These are all hard things to deal with but like all things, it will come to an end. Endure, and just keep at it. Keep fighting, even if every morning is bleak. Even if there seems no silver lining, just keep going. All these things will come to pass sooner or later. Going through these difficulties will surely make you a better person!
Second, never lose hope and keep the faith. It is easy to just give up when you’re overwhelmed with problems. But always remember to never lose hope. What is happening to you does not make sense right now nor does it have to make sense at all. Difficulties are bound to happen whether it’s our fault or not. And when these trying times seem to be getting the best of you just remember that it will pass. Hope for the better, for the best. The moment you lose hope is the moment that you let these struggles beat you. Stand up! Carry on and keep on fighting. Like you, I was once hopeless, but over time I regained that hope. I believed that these difficult times were not the end. I kept my faith that things will get better in time. And eventually it did! The hope and faith kept me fighting even when things were unsure. As Gandalf once said “There was never much hope, just a fool’s hope.” Hope is all we have, without hope we can never go through anything.
Forgive yourself. You have endured a lot, you came to a point where you have done lots of regrettable things in your past. Sometimes, these are unspeakable and unforgivable. You may have done these things willingly or unwillingly. But one thing is for sure, you did those things because you were hurt. You never could have done such things if you were not conferred with negative stimulus such as rage, anger, jealousy, greed, lust etc. Just remember, that you are not that kind of person. These are just mistakes that you have made. Poor choices driven by negative emotions. In time, you should learn how to forgive yourself on what you did. Do not beat yourself up on these blunders that you committed in the past. There is no point of doing that. What matters is that you move forward, you learn from it and you forgive yourself on committing such regrettable actions.
The next one is obvious forgive others. If you have the ability to forgive yourself of wrongdoings, you certainly have the same ability to do so on other people. Some people have hurt or wronged you on the past. Whether they all did it consciously or unconsciously, it doesn’t really matter. These hurts are all in the past now. What matters is that you learn to forgive the person who wronged you. Even if they did not apologize for it! Even if you feel that they do not deserve your forgiveness. Believe me, you should. Forgiving others is not for their sake, but for your own. By forgiving people, it allows you to let go of the pain that they caused. Holding on to these past hurts will not do you anything good. Let it go. Don’t hold grudges. So forgive them, but don’t forget rather remember and learn.
It will always go sideways. You may have set plans for yourself, your family, your loved ones. But remember that not all plans come to fruition. Whether it is as simple as asking your crush out on a dinner, planning vacation with your friends, buying a house/car or planning your future with your loved one. There will always come a time when these plans will go sideways. And when that happens don’t despair. It simply means it wasn’t meant to be. We may have tried our best to make sure these plans happen yet sometimes it still ends up failing. When that happens fret not! Remember if it’s meant to happen, no matter the circumstances, it will happen. This just simply means that you should still have a positive outlook on the bad things that was handed to you. You don’t always get what you want. And it is only fair that you deal with it with optimism instead of sulking around these botched plans. Lighten up!
Your time will come! Everything takes time. Planting and harvesting crops takes time, earning others people trust takes time, teaching yourself how to play an instrument takes time. It all takes time! Whether it is about getting the job that you always wanted, being able to travel to your dream destination, earning more money or even finding the love of your life! It all takes time! Most of the good things in life takes time simply because these things requires an effort from your end. Depending on how big or small these goals and tasks are, it will always require you to do your best. You have to invest your time in it and eventually your time to harvest what you sow will come. It may take longer than what you expected. But surely, there will come a time when the thing that you are most hoping for will be yours! Remember frustrations mostly arise due to unfulfilled expectations. By remembering that the thing you want most will take time helps you manage your expectations and lessens your chances of getting frustrated. Patience, Hard work and Time!
Take a break! Go Travel! Dine in a restaurant which you haven’t tried. Go visit a nearby town/city which you haven’t been and explore it. Do something which you have not done before. Remember that problems come and go but we must still continue to live our lives. By travelling and exploring new places, you get to discover and learn new things. You also get to experience new stuff which you haven’t before. By having these kind of experiences helps you take a break from whatever difficulties you are in right now. It may be a form of escapism, but it also reminds you how wonderful and fun life is. Your problems may have consumed most of your time and may have hindered you from remembering what it is like to take a long stroll on the beach, enjoy a cold beer with friends, watch a movie, consume a sumptuous meal, to be happy. Taking a break recharges your spirit and gives you that much needed strength to continue fighting.
And lastly, the most important thing of all is to Hold on! No matter where you are standing right now. In midst of a bitter break up, financial woes, abusive relationship, life threatening illness, whatever circumstance you are in right now. Please, I have just one request for you. Please hold on. Hold on to your life, hold on to your family, hold on to hope. Hold on to faith. Hold on to whatever it is you can cling to. Don’t give up. All these hardships will eventually come to an end. Do not end your chance of seeing these things come to pass. I know it is hard, it never was easy. But remember you will always have someone to help you get through this. If the burden is too heavy don’t hesitate to approach your friends, family, and loved ones. They will help you the best that they can, just please hold on to your life. Hold on even if you feel like letting go. Do not ever think of giving up. You will get through this I promise you, it gets better.
These are just some of things which I learned. Certainly, I could have listed a lot more. But I feel that these are the most important lessons I can share with you all. The adversity which I went through molded me to what I am right now. It made me a better person. So if you are currently going through crucial times, remember that this too shall pass. And in the end, this experience will make you a better person. So I’m ending by sharing you with this quote:
Suffering builds character.
-Talia Al Ghul
Peace! I’m out!
What is the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge?
So, you may have all seen regular and famous people dumping a bucket full of ice over their heads and challenging other celebrities, politicians, athletes to do the same. The question is, why are people doing it? This actually started as a challenge by the ALS foundation to the people and it is for a good cause. This is to help the foundation to fund their research to find a cure for ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) or famously known in the United States as Lou Gehrig’s disease.
What is Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) / Lou Gehrig’s disease?
According to Wikipedia “Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)—also referred to as motor neurone disease (MND), Charcot disease, and, in the United States, Lou Gehrig’s disease—is a neurodegenerative disease with various causes. It is characterised by muscle spasticity, rapidly progressive weakness due to muscle atrophy, difficulty in speaking (dysarthria), swallowing (dysphagia), and breathing (dyspnea). ALS is the most common of the five motor neuron diseases.”
Aside from the baseball player Lou Gehrig one well known person who has contracted the said disease is the highly intelligent Theoretical Physicist Stephen Hawking. Though one may note that Stephen Hawking’s case as rather unusual. As according to specialists “the median survival time from onset to death is around 39 months, and only 4% survive longer than 10 years.” Once you have contracted the said disease, your body shut downs slowly and lose motor control and will likely die sooner or later. To date, no cure has been created for this disease.
What are the rules for the ice bucket challenge?
Well basically, the participants must donate to ALS foundation. It will either be $10 if they successfully dumped the ice cold filled water in their heads. Otherwise, they will be giving $100. They must do it via a video and have it recorded. Once they were able to do so, they can challenge 3 more people to also take the challenge within 24 hours.
This was the initial rule for the challenge, however, as the said challenge became popular in social media and more and more famous people are doing it, there was quite a variation. The participants still gave an amount of their choice to the foundation even if they dumped their heads full of ice.
What will happen with the money raised by the Foundation?
As previously mentioned, the foundation will use it for funding their research on the disease and hopefully to find a cure.
Who are the famous people who did the challenge?
Well you can find the full list here in Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ice_Bucket_Challenge_participants
1. Robert Downey Jr. (Tony Stark / Iron Man) He was challenged by Bob Iger, CEO of Disney. In turn Downey Jr. challenged Vincent D’Onofrio and his Son, and Chris Hemsworth (Thor). His wife did the honors of dumping a bucket full of ice.
2. Chris Pratt (Peter Quill / StarLord) He was also challenged by Bob Iger and Vincent D’Onofrio, the one challenged by Robert Downey Jr. His video was quite long and it is really hilarious. He challenged Gregory Smith, Nick Offerman and Batista
3. Dave “Batista” Bautista (Former Wrestler / Actor) He was challenged by StarLord himself, Chris Pratt. His video was also entertaining as he was already in a tub full of ice. He also admits that he is a fan of Lou Gehrig. He challenged James Gunn, Gina Carano and The Filipino Flash Nonito Donaire. I would love to see Nonito take the challenge
4. Mark Zuckebrug (CEO / Facebook) He was challenged by Governor of New Jersey Chris Christie. He then in turn challenged Bill Gates (CEO Microsoft), Sheryl Sandberg (Facebook) and Reed Hastings (CEO Netflix).
5. Bill Gates (Former CEO Microsoft) He was challenged by Mark Zuckerburg. I find his video the one who ruled them all. We all know Bill Gates is always up for a challenge and did something quite special. See for yourself.
6. Team USA Basketball – They challenged Oprah Winfrey and Adam Silver (NBA Commissioner)
7. Ronda Rousey ( MMA Fighter / Actress) She was challenged by none other than Dana White (President of UFC). She called out Sylvester Stallone , Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson, and Gina Carano
8. The Rock (Former Wrestler / Actor) He was challenged by Ronda Rousey. He then called his Pain & Gain co-star Mark Wahlberg, and his GI JOE co-star Channing Tatum and Brad Slater.
9. Triple H (Wrestler) He challenged Stone Cold Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan and his father-in-law head of WWE Vince Mcmahon.
10. Vince McMahon (Former Wrestler / Chairman and CEO of WWE) Of course, Vince accepted his son-in-law’s challenged. I actually like his nominations, Donald Trump, Maria Menounos and Kermit The Frog. This guys really crazy.
11. Cristiano Ronaldo (Football Player) This guy is a genius by calling out and challenging Beyonce and Jennifer Lopez. He also challenged Lil Wayne. Let’s see if Beyonce will take Ronaldo’s challenge
12. Justin Timberlake (Singer / Actor) He challenged his good friend Jimmy Fallon, The Roots and Steve Higgins. He did the challenge with a few more people in the background, I think that is his crew.
13. Jimmy Fallon (Comedian / Host) He accepted his friend, Justin Timberlake’s challenge, together with Rob Riggle, Horatio Sanz, Steve Higgins and the Roots.
14. Oprah Winfrey (Host /Actress / CEO Harpo Productions) She was nominated by a lot of people including Team USA. Of course, knowing that this is charity work, Oprah gladly obliged she challenged Steven Spielberg and two more people.
15. Steven Spielberg (Director) Of course, the great Steven Spielberg would not back down from a challenge. He then nominated George Lucas, Jeffrey Katzenberg and one of my favorite directors J.J. Abrams!
16. Jessica Alba, Gavin Rossdale, Nicole Richie – They were nominated by Gwen Stefani and this threesome did it all in one hit. Check it out
17. Jennifer Lopez (Singer/Actress) Of course, she accepted Cristiano Ronaldo’s challenge and nominated Iggy Azalean and her dance buddies.
18. Iggy Azalea (Singer) She did accept the challenge from JLo in her bikini and challenged Rita Ora and CharliXCX
19. Weird Al Yankovic (Musician/Comedian) This dude is the best, he challenged Obama, Dalai Lama and the Pope. Obama already said no to a lot of people who challenged him. I doubt the Pope and Dalai Lama will do it too. Well his video is just plain awesome.
20. Tim Cook (Apple CEO) The Head of Apple took the ice on stage in Apple HQ and challenged Bob Iger, Dr. Dre and Michael Franti. Of course he took the ice and donated.
21. Bob Iger (Disney CEO) I actually put him in last so you can loop it to the first few entries since he challenged Downey and Pratt. I actually loved how he called them by their on-screen name Tony Stark and Peter Quill.
You too can donate even without doing the Ice Bucket Challenge. Visit http://www.alsa.org/donate/
Okay peace and I am out!
UPDATED as August 19, 2014
Okay since my post yesterday, there are a lot of people who did the challenge. I have to add a few more of them since some of them are really funny.
22. Nathan Fillion (Actor) The star of Firefly and Castle has accepted the challenge and nominated Tom Hiddleston.
23.Tom Hiddleston (Actor / Loki) A lot of fan girls will surely love to see Tom Hiddleston do this. And yes he did and accepted Nathan’s challenge. In return he challenged Luke Evans and Benedict Cumberbatch. Great choice Mr. Hiddleston
24. Dikembe Mutombo (Former NBA player / NBA Global Ambassador) The description on Bleacher report article was really funny. They kinda said that if you would want to hear how Cookie Monster would sound like waterboarded you should see this. See for yourself and be the judge. This is hilarious!
25. Tyrese Gibson (Actor / Singer) He got challenged by Derek Fisher and The Game. His video was really funny too. He nominated Michelle Obama, Richard Bronson and Sheikh Mansour oh Abu Dhabi. I watched it more than once.
26. Becky Hammon (Former WNBA Player / Assistant Coach Spurs) Becky accepted Commissioner Adam Silver’s challenge and nominated Spurs PG Tony Parker, Assistant Coach Chip Engelland and her former San Antonio Silver Stars teammate Ruth Riley.
27. Tony Parker (NBA player / San Antonio Spurs) He got challenged by Coach Becky Hammon. Still can’t find the video of Becky Hammon though. He nominated 5 people. Manu, Boris, Pau, Dirk and Coach Pop. I would like to see coach Pop get dranched with an ice cold water. I am assuming Becky challenged Timmy which is why Tony didn’t nominate him.
28. Kaley Cuoco (Actress) Our favorite girl from Big Bang Theory also took the challenge. I wonder what Sheldon’s reaction is.
29. Jim Parsons (Actor) Well in case you are wondering, Dr. Sheldon did the challenge too.
30. James Franco (Actor) After being nominated by Selena Gomez, Franco accepted the challenge. I did not understand who he challenged. I was wishing it would be like Jonah Hill, Seth Rogen and the other crew.
31.Chris Hemsworth (Actor / Thor Odinson) So he accepted Downey’s challenge and nominated Jeremy Renner, Chris Evans and Mark Ruffalo. Avengers Assemble. haha
32. Hugh Jackman (Actor / Wolverine) So Mr. Jackman did the challenge with Garrett Hedlund, Rooney Mara and the cast of “Pan”.
33. Blake Shelton, Adam Levine and Carson Daly – This should have been a Blake Shelton and Carson Daly video only, unfortunately for Adam Levine, who is just standing near-by, he was challenged. He did it and they nominated Nick Lachey, Kevin Richardson, Joey Fatone, Gwen Stefani, Pharrell Williams, Jason Segel, Mark Ruffalo and Robert Downey Jr.
34. George Takei (Actor / Hikaru Sulu) Mr.Sulu did the challenge Sci-Fi style. I liked his nominations namely Buzz Aldrin, Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Ian Mckellen. I would love to see them take the challenge too.
35. Travis Barker (Drummer / Blink 182) He did it with two buckets of Ice!
36. Charlie Sheen (Actor) Charlie did the ice bucket challenge with his own twist. Oh and he did donate a lot of money. Kudos Mr. Sheen. It has WIN written all over it.
UPDATED as of August 22, 2014
The list just goes on and on, added a few personal favorites including His Airness, he actually took the challenge. Nice!
37. Ben Affleck (Actor / Director) The new Mr. Bruce Wayne got nominated by Madea “Tyler Perry”. The video itself is cute. His wife, Jennifer Garner did the honor of pouring ice bucket and their children is their audience. He nominated Jimmy Kimmel, Matt Damon and NPH Neil Patrick Harris.
38. Michael Jordan (Basketball Player /GOAT) It took Sports legends David Beckham, Derek Jeter and Ray Allen for His Airness to respond. And in return he challenged his 92 Dream Team teammates and the Zen Master Coach Phil.
39. David Beckham (Football Player) He got nominated by Ryan Seacrest. He called on his friend Leo Dicaprio and two more sports legend Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan. He had a drum full of ice buckets.
40. Larry “Legend” Bird (Basketball Player / Coach / NBA Executive) Apparently Larry Legend already took the challenge of George Hill before MJ called out his 92 Dream Team.
41. Paul George (Basketball Player) Even with his injury PG-13 took the challenge. His hashtags in instragram are funny #iTriedToRunAway #OhICantRun #DontAskMeAgain LOL
42. Channing Tatum (Actor) He responded to The Rock’s call, and did the challenge with his wife. He challenged his 22 Jump Street co-star Jonah Hill and Meryl Streep and Daniel Day Lewis.
43. Mark Wahlberg (Actor) He also responded to The Rock’s call and did it with his family. His kids are cute. He challenged Spike Lee, Eminem and Manny Pacquiao! They set this took place in the set of Ted 2.
44. Will Smith (Actor/Rapper) He responded to the challenge and called on Jay-Z and Beyonce. He wanted them to both do it on the same time.
45. George Bush (Former US President) He tried to play a skit that he will not be splashed by Ice and that it is not Presidential. In the end he got soaked and challenged Mr.Bill Clinton
46. Katy Perry (Singer /Actress) Who wouldn’t like to see Katy Perry get drenched. She challenged Madonna. Now suit your self.
47. Nonito Doñaire “The Flipino Flash” (Boxer) Now Nonito got challenged by his good friend Batista and he responed. He did notm disappoint as he took it into another level. He made the challenge with some friends and did it Vegas style and made it an Ice Dunk Challenge. He was able to raise more money for ALS. He did it a mini event and it was fun. See for yourself. Oh and he called out Pacquiao too, your turn Manny.
48. Chris Evans (Captain America / Steve Rogers) Now Mr. Captain America here responded to Thor’s challenge and his one was quite entertaining too. Bravo Steve Rogers! He also called out Sebastian “The Winter Soldier”.
49. Anne Hathaway (Actress) The talented actress accepted the challenge. She nominated Kristin Stewart and Matthew McConaughey
50. Kermit “The Frog” (Sesame Street) Now this is one is really funny. They really responded to WWE Chairman’s Vince McMahon’s challenge in turn he challenged Tina Fey, Ricky Gervais and Ty Burell.Enjoy
51. Patrick Ewing (Basketball Player /Coach) So, Big Ewing was part of the 92 Dream Team and responded to his boss and former teammate MJ to his challenge.
52.Jimmy Kimmel (Comedian / Host) So Jimmy responded to Ben Affleck’s response. His video is very funny too.
53. Lea Salonga (Actress / Singer / Miss Saigon) Famously known for her Miss Saigon roles and for the singing voice of Jasmine in Aladdin. She took the challenge and challenged Darren Criss (Blaine of Glee) Filipino Actor Aga Muhlach, and her fellow coaches in The Voice Philippines Bamboo Manalac, Sarah Geronimo, and Apl De Ap (Black Eyed Peas)
54. Hulk Hogan (Wrestler) Well if it isn’t the Immortal Hulk Hogan talking on Triple H’s challenge. He challenged Johhny Manziel, Sylvester Stallone and Harvey Levin of TMZ
55. Dr. Dre (Rapper/Producer / CEO Beats) Dr.Dre accepted his business partner, Tim Cook’s challenge and did it ala Bill Gates. Now, he challenged rappers to do it too, Snoop Dogg, Kendrick Lamar and who else, Eminem. Let’s see if Em will do it.
56. Harvey Levin (Host/ Attorney) He accepted Hulk Hogan’s challenge and called out Kanye West (LOL) Lindsay Lohan and Mel Gibson.
57. Lindsay Lohan (Actress) Damn! She looks better now, hoping she stays sober. She did the challenge in The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. She nominated Jared Leto!
58. Conan O’Brien (Host/Comedian) Funny as ever Conan did the challenge in his own way.
59. Ludacris (Rapper/ Actor) What better way to do it than do it on stage. He did it while having a concert and nominated 50 cent.
60. Nina Dobrev (Actress) The very sultry Vampire Diaries star did it in her yacht and jumped straight to the beach after.
61. Macklemore (Rapper) Like Ludacris, Macklemore did this too on stage and nominated Seattle Legends, Shawn Kemp, Steve Scheffler and Gary Payton.
62. Novak Djokovic (Tennis Player) Now the Djoker did it with his preparatory ice ice baby song. He also nominated MJ, who already did the challenge and Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean). I would love to see Mr. Bean take the challenge.
63. Robin Van Persie “RVP”(Football Player) He did it in a pool with his kids and wife pouring in ice water on him. It’s funny in the end how his son tried to push him in the pool.
64. Vin Diesel (Actor) Vin accepted Director James Gunn’s challenge, in return he also challenged them to plant a tree for Groot. He challenged Michelle Obama, Angelina Jolie and Vladmir Putin!, Yup the Russian President.
65. FC Barcelona Players (Football) So several FCB players did the challenge. Pique, Iniesta, Alba, Messi, Song, Neymar, Alves
Okay so if you reach this point then you have already enjoyed and had a chuckle on the video compilation of famous people who did the challenge. But now, I do beg of you that since you reached this far, that you also watch this last video. This is just a regular guy who did the ALS ice bucket challenge. He did a very embarrassing video but you will find out why he did it if you watched the whole video. I hope you guys would also take a moment to also learn about what ALS is and what it can do to people. This guy just shared with us a few moments from his life and I feel for him.
Again you can help by donating to http://www.alsa.org/donate/
Peace! I’m out!
So YES it is physically possibly that someone as big and strong as The Mountain can crush someone’s head aside from Oberyn’s
This post contains spoilers for the episode of Game of Thrones “The Mountain and the Viper,” which aired June 1, 2014.
“Heads will roll” is one thing. “Heads will explode” is quite another.
Last night’s Game of Thrones episode, “The Mountain and the Viper,” made a resounding (and gruesome) case for the latter. We knew that Gregor Clegane, better known as The Mountain, was a strong guy — that’s why Cersei chose him to fight on behalf of the crown in Tyrion’s trial-by-combat show-down. Still, few viewers could have predicted that his duel with Oberyn Martell would end the way it did: with the Mountain, despite serious injuries, gouging out Oberyn’s eyes and then bare-handedly crushing his opponent’s head until it exploded.
So how strong would the Mountain have to be to make that possible?
Last year, when Star Trek Into Darkness raised a similar question, the folks…
View original post 504 more words
And I was complaining traffic in my motherland, Philippines.